Application of Machine Learning to Predict Water Potability
1Green Hope High School, Carpenter Upchurch Rd, Cary, NC, United States.
Abstract: Determining water potability Is an important area of research with heavy implications for human health and viability of certain living quarters. In this endeavor, I applied machine learning techniques to predict the potability of water. Based on a data set including chemical and physical water parameters, supervised learning programming is applied to this binary classification problem. Neural network mechanisms are applied to determine the significant parameters that impact potability and accuracy in predicting water potability. Through this research, the significant parameters that affect water potability were identified and used to determine whether a particular combination makes the water potable. Additionally, accuracy of in predicting the potability of the water was found to increase when hidden layers were increased and not a significant impact was realized when increasing the epoch value.
Keywords: Machine Learning, Water Potability, Neural network.
Cite this article as: Ramya Nataraj, Application of Machine Learning to Predict Water Potability, Int. J. Math. And Appl., vol. 9, no. 4, 2021, pp. 59-64.References
- -----, Wikipedia Machine Learning, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine\_learning
- -----, Big Data Made Simple: Machine learning explained: Understanding supervised, unsupervised, and reinforcement learning by Ronald Van Loon, https://bigdata-madesimple.com/machine-learning-explained-understanding-supervised-unsupervised-and-reinforcement-learning
- -----, Machine Learning Mastery: 4 Types of Classification Tasks in Machine Learning, https://machinelearningmastery.com/types-of-classification-in-machine-learning
- -----, IBM Cloud Learn Hub: What are Neural Networks?, https://www.ibm.com/cloud/learn/neural-networks
- -----, Water Research, Environmental Protection Agency, https://www.epa.gov/water-research
- -----, Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality, WHO, https://www.who.int/water\_sanitation\_health/dwq/gdwq0506.pdf
- Garcia-Avilia, Evaluation of water quality and stability in the drinking water distribution network in the Azogues city, Ecuador, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5996164
- -----, Water Quality: Drinking water potability, Aditya Kadiwal, https://www.kaggle.com/adityakadiwal/water-potability
- -----, How to Perform Data Cleaning for Machine Learning with Python, Jason Brownie, https://machinelearningmastery.com/basic-data-cleaning-for-machine-learning
- -----, How to calculate feature importance with Python, Jason Brownie, https://machinelearningmastery.com/calculate-feature-importance-with-python
- -----, The Math Behind Training of a Neural Network, Sergen Cansiz, https://towardsdatascience.com/adventure-of-the-neurons-theory-behind-the-neural-networks-5d19c594ca16